Hello, I am Afifah Hamilton, a Medical Herbalist, Nutritionist and GAPS Practitioner living near Chichester, West Sussex, UK.
I run a busy clinic, where I treat patients using herbal medicine and dietary approaches. I completed a 4 year full time course at the School of Herbal Medicine qualifying in 1992 since when I have been a member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists and have run my own practice.
I work similarly to an orthodox GP, carrying out standard examinations and clinical diagnoses, but with an eye to underlying causes rather than just treating symptomatically. Unlike a GP I spend a good deal of time with my patients understanding their condition in the broader context of their life, diet and medical history. I create individual dietary strategies to bring about meaningful physiological change, supported by herbal prescriptions, as required, which are tailor-made and dispensed from my extensive herbal pharmacy.
My areas of specialist research include: the ketogenic diet, the palaeolithic diet, auto-immunity, neurological and metabolic dysfunction, cardiovascular problems and generational health.
Evidence base & Continuing Professional Development
I am constantly reading and reviewing the latest scientific papers – as you can see from the many referenced articles on this blog. I also participate in regular conferences and summits. Recent training has included:
- Organic acids testing – urine screening for biomarker metabolites
- Omega 3 – for neurodevelopment and ageing
- Dermatology – Bognor GP dermatology group
- IAOMT: Mercury and heavy metal toxicity – state of the art testing and safe detox
- Genetic testing – Common polymorphisms (SNPs) and their treatment
- B12 deficiency & thyroid disease
- Hormone dysfunction – environmental influences
- Functional Medicine – 3 day nutrition workshop
- Genova webinar – comprehensive stool analysis
- Cyrex – chemical reactivity / food reactivity / blood-brain barrier function
- Brain function and neurodegeneration – Dr Kharrazian
- Auto-immune Summit (2014)
- Gluten Summit (2013)
- GAPS practitioner training – Dr Campbell-McBride (2011)
Lab Testing and Diagnostics
I have a close working relationship with many local GPs and consultants, recieving and making referrals. I currently work with a number of private labs for the most up-to-date medical testing, including comprehensive stool analyses, vitamin D status, mineral and vitamin deficiencies, hormonal status, comprehensive thyroid panel, autoimmune, dietary and metal allergy testing, and actionable DNA tests.
More information about Afifah
For more information, see my main clinic website is: rosemarycottageclinic.co.uk